Sunday, January 17, 2010

So, What AM I Doing?

That's a good question. I always thought there was a market for something that people can't find anywhere else. This is the something else I have had in mind since I used to practice doing radio in my bedroom as a kid. In my youth, I spent a great deal of time on a farm and I found the radio a great comfort to me. But, while I was listening to top 40 radio, I also loved getting an album and listening to a group as a whole. While I was a fan of Bread, the Carpenters, Three Dog Night and Neil Diamond, I also loved Bloodrock, King Crimson, Deep Purple and the Stones. It all starts and ends with the Beatles for me. Then, probably Bruce Springsteen in second and a 14 way tie for 3rd place. As a youth, I was exposed to KSHE at an early age. This was the KSHE of the early/mid 70s. I didn't live in St. Louis but would visit cousins who lived in St. Charles. As soon as I got close, I'd tune my brand new FM tuner to 94.7 because they didn't play that kind of music in the Quad Cities. I moved to Milan Il in 1976 and discovered KFMH in Muscatine while going to radio school in Bettendorf. My love for a wide playlist was solidified at an early age. I am at a time and place in my life where I can do this and not expect to make money at it. I can't sell ads because my royalty rate would increase tenfold. Enjoy the tunes, there's everything from Judas Priest to Carole King. And that's OK. I don't think you can find that any where.

No comments:

Post a Comment